Monday, January 7, 2008

Learning experience

So I have finally come to realise this whole surgery recovery thing is definitely a learning experience. Every day offers something new and exciting, not necessarily in a good way.

I have been off my elastics now, like the ortho and surgeon suggested and really don't have that much pain relief. I dont think the medication is working much either...I'm pretty much taking it AND Tylenol on a regular basis. The pain is not severe anymore, but it is definitely still there, but I'm living with it. Wonder what it could be since its not the elastics. I'm still wearing them at night, as i sleep with my mouth open so it offers comfort.

I almost feel like my jaw is shifting though, sideways. Hard to describe, but when I'm sleeping i think I'm moving it left or right, because the bite feels off, so the elastics i think are holding it together...wouldn't that be awful if my jaw upper or lower moved to the side...OMG. Don't even want to go there.

Range of motion is improving, but its still only at about 2 fingers width is max i can open, hopefully this is normal. The only other thing that could be causing problems is eating because after i eat im quite sore, so i might be overdueing it, trying to eat normal again...maybe i should still eat softer stuff...ill try that, but really I'm SICK of softer stuff, aren't we all at this stage.

I see the surgeon next Tuesday then the ortho on Friday so hopefully the pain will have stopped by them or there will be some answers. Honestly the 2 don't seem that concerned, but they aren't feeling this pain, right...but to put it into perspective, id rather have the 1st week post op annoyance again, even the breathing problems, rather than this pain in my left side....!

More pics to come on wed.

6 comments:

Graham said...

Hey! I'm so sorry to hear you're in such pain! I really hope this works itself out soon. It seems that some folks are having some not so pleasant experiences post-op lately and I'm sad that you're one of them. Keep us posted!

laura said...

Yow, that sounds horrible! If the pain going all the way down your neck, perhaps there's some muscle tension in your jaw that's causing muscle spasms elsewhere. Referred pain or whatever. How about a massage! With a cute guy! Seriously though, trigger point massage might be worth looking into. I haven't had the surgery yet, so I have no idea about jaw pain, but it's done wonders for the intensely painful knots caused by working on a computer all day for years.

Tony, the Restless Foodie said...

OOOH - sorry to hear this. I hope I don't get to 12 weeks and I start to feel pain!

Something my ortho asked me on my last visit...."are you doing any jaw exercises?" I told him 'no'. But now what I'm doing is lots of stretching when I'm sitting thinking about it...like driving. Imagine the looks I get!

chris k said...

Hey I was just checking up on your post op pics and think you and Erin both got the "10 Years Younger" version of the surgery. You look great!

Kristy Eng said...

Laura im definitely gona stick with the massage, although they arent helping my jaw, they feel so good on the neck/shoulder tension.

Tony I hear you about the stretches...me i do them when i can, and i dont realise im doing them, the weird looks we must get eh, i never thought about it.

Thanks Graham, hopefully this will be the last of the aches and pains...

Chris, thank u so much, its nice being young at heart, hehe! Hope they dont start carding me again, hehe

Tara said...

Man, that stinks that you are still in such pain. As far as how wide you can open, my surgery was just a few days after yours (or was it before yours? Either way, right around the same time) and that's exactally how far I can open my jaw too. Hopefully it won't be a problem when they try to take these braces off today. I'll let you know!

Good luck with the pain.
~ Tara