Monday, November 12, 2007

mmmmmmmmmmm food

So its 5 1/2 weeks now and going strong. I think 5 weeks was a real turning point in my recovery. Finally this sickness has left and i have just a little bit of the cold left over, but its tolerable.

I have been doing much better as of lately, food, energy and overall wise. Energy, i find i don't have to take my daytime naps and i can do a lot more without getting tired. Food I'm eating still soft foods but I'm trying others, like i had a messy chicken sandwich at Swiss Chalet the other night, with bread, gravy and chicken, and i got that down no problem. As long as pieces are cut small I'm able to eat. Chewing is getting a bit easier, however still not perfect. I can only chew on the right side as my front teeth are hitting first, but hitting a bit more at the back on the right. Hopefully the ortho next week will help this. Chewing also seems foreign, its like I've forgotten how, and man does my jaw get tired. I'm happy though that I'm finally seeing progress as i was getting scared there at 4 weeks. My jaw is opening almost an inch now, so getting in there is getting easier.

The swelling is mostly gone, still a little lingering around my jawline and in my cheeks. Hopefully at the 2 months mark it will be gone, and i think the anti-inflammatory pills the surgeon gave me are helping.

So things have definitely done a 180 and i am doing a lot better, sucks it takes 5 weeks to feel that way, but at least its some hope for all those hopeful surgery patients out there...it does get easier!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

So Glad you are feeling better! It really sucks to be under the weather.

Shontelly said...

Food is great isn't it? ;D With the sarpe surgery I wasn't deprived too much. I just blended WHATEVER to mush and went to town! This next surgery isn't going to be as easy though.. :*(

Just checked out your pics. Your swelling looks a lot better and your smile is looking very nice indeed. I love going back and seeing everyones before pics and comparing to the after. Gives me hope.

bridget said...

It gets easier! That's good to hear!

Tara said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Being sick on top of recovery can NOT be fun. When were you allowed to start chewing again? I had my surgery only 4 days after yours, and I had a lot less one, and I still am not allowed to chew. I have to go back after Thanksgiving to the OS, and he said that he hopes to give me the "green light" to chew. That will be 7 weeks of not chewing. I'm jealous.

So I was curious how far I could open my jaw. Good thing no body walked by my cube! I just took out a mirror and ruler to measure! It's almost 3/4 of an inch. So you seem to be doing good in that part! Congrats! Ok, going go to look at your updated pics now!

Kristy Eng said...

Yey all thanks again for reading my blog and for your support.

Tara, he said i should try chewing, but really its more mushing than chewing, ill ask him more next week when i go again. Also Im estimating its about 1 inch i can open, i should pull out the ruler too and measure...its probably more around 1/2-3/4 of an inch really, lol...but who knows, that will be my task for the day!