Friday, October 26, 2007

Day 22

So swelling was going down, but popped up again after i got the splint out on Tuesday and after my ortho appt on Tuesday. Again, not sure if its due to the poking and prying, or the fact im using my mouth more for talking and eating. Good think is its going down again, however some lingers around my nose, cheeks and chin.

Still nothing new in the feeling department, most of my face is still pretty numb, however i notice when i talk my lips are starting to move a little more, a good sign?

Talking is still difficult and i have what i now call an "accent" hehe, its cute, and my boyfriend says he actually likes my voice more now as its more "girlie" and higher pitch, who woulda thought.

Eating is also still difficult, i havent grasped the chewing thing yet. I find if i try to chew food goes everywhere and gets stuck so its much easier to get smaller pieces etc and just swallow, however that doesnt do much in the taste department. Im still mainly eating soups, scrambled eggs, baby food, puddings, and ground beed in gravy. Maybe next week ill be more adventurous.

Another difficult thing...wow this list is pretty long, hehe, BRUSHING, still hard as i cant open too wide, so my outside of my teeth are spotless but its very hard to get inside. I find everyday its getting a tad easier, but i cant get to the back where my teeth desperately need cleaning.

Pain wise there really isnt much, a slight pull here and there from the stitches, and after changing elastics i feel a bit of pressure, but its actually tollerable.

Recovery is going well, however very slow, but ill get there. Next appt is with the surgeon on Tuesday, will be almost 4 weeks post op by then! There are new pics of my hardware check it out, and new pics of me today, 22 days!

3 comments:

Erin said...

You're looking great, Kristy! I was curious (and you might have covered this at some point in your blog) but after I saw your pictures, it sounds like your bottom jaw recessed a lot within a matter of a year and a half? I was just wondering what could cause that. The hardware you had in the top jaw before this surgery looked a lot like mine does. It also looks like you don't have plates on the bottom jaw, but long thin screws? That's cool! I've got these big clunky things. I can actually FEEL the screws on one side. Freaky huh?

Kristy Eng said...

Hey Erin, im not sure if it was gradual or all of a sudden that the lower jaw recessed. the only explanation i was given is that my joints reshaped themselves from circular to oval causing the recession, not sure if this was the case or not, if they were able to see during surgery, i should ask, otherwise i have no idea. The hardware at the top is exactly like yours, before and now the new plates, but the long screws in my chin and lower jaw are weird too, wonder why they used those instead of the big clunky ones. And i cant believe u can feel the screws, ewwwwwwwwww

Erin said...

Oh, I guess they aren't screws but just bumpy bone. Well, I hope so anyway! That's weird about the joints. I hope that both of our jaws stay put now! We've gone through a lot to get them where they are.