Thursday, October 11, 2007

finally a light at the end of the tunnel

So today folks marks 1 week and i can say im not doing the best still but definately a lot better. I had a few complications and i think ill break down on another blog later exactly what i went through each day. Now i know that everyone will be different, however its something i definately needed B4 going into this surgery to know everything is pretty normal and on track. Hopefully some of u will find it helpful. Ill also create another blog of what i have found are ESSENTIAL to gettin gprior to surgery, things u might not think of which u will need. Lastly ill try to do a little nutrition so others can maybe share some of the recipes ive had, they are quite good, well some good and others not so...but anyways.

Today i went to see the surgeon, Dr. Tocchio again for my 1 week appt. They took an x-ray, omg i couldnt believe the screws, etc in my face...some nice hardware. I will definately bring a camera when i return to take a pic for my pictures section, but to describe i have 3 screws on the lower left side, 3 on the lower right side, 2 in my chin....2 gaps on either lower side where he advanced it, which will within 6 months grow over, so theres no bone or anything there now. So upper they removed the old hardware from the previous surgery and i have plates on either side of my nose and above my cheeks. Roof im not too sure but i think i have another few becasue he widened it a lot, so again thats hollow now and will grow in again during recovery.....

So u can see why i wasnt doing too well, sooooooooo much work. Plus with all the scar tissue from the past surgery and removing the older hardware, he said there was so much to do even he felt bad doing it all at once, but there was NO way i was going in again, lol.

So im still really swolen so he removed the elastics and cleaned it out a bit and put new ones on....i couldnt do it myself since im swollen. He also gave me lip exercises...to pucker and to smile, to get the swelling down.

Other than that my next appt is for a week tues, so the 23rd when i get my SPLINT OUT!!!! omg u dont know how happy i am about this. I cant wait cuz honestly i think ill be totally recovered when its out, eating happy....my tongue cant handle much more now with the splint, its ripped to pieces.

Oh i also have special lip stuff because i got a lip infection at the corners, lip fungus or something...again i wasnt doing well after surgery, so thats healing, but still sore...remember people after surgery VASELINE...i did but guess not enough.

K so think thats it for now, again i will do those other blogs, but my neck is killing me here on the computer...ill try again tomorrow...but all i am doing much better and thank you so much for your comments and words of encouragement!!! SMILES

2 comments:

Tara said...

Kristy, Great to hear that you are doing better. Man, they did do a lot to you. No wonder you were so sore. What was your previous surgery for? I don't rememeber reading about it in your previous posts. Well, take care and we're on the road to recovery! Before we know it, we'll be eating those nice crisp apples and nuts and all that good stuff again!

Kristy Eng said...

Previous surgery was for upper. They were supposed to do upper/lower to correct TMJ problems, however day of they said only upper was needed as the braces had done such a good job...Upper was done 11 years ago.

And thos crisp apples and nuts sound sooooooooo good right now...even the ritz crackers commerciales make me hungry, hehe!